A cleaner smartphone is a safer smartphone
How to help keep you and your phones germ-free
Practicing good hygiene through regular hand washing is essential to helping slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Equally important is regularly disinfecting our phones, which we carry with us nearly everywhere these days.
A study published in early February states that viruses can live up to nine days on smooth glass and plastic surfaces, such as those on smartphones and tablets. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends cleaning these “high-touch” surfaces at least once per day.
How to properly clean your phones
Keeping your smartphones and tablets clean helps prevent the spread of germs and bacteria. Here are some tips on how to safely do so without damaging them.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 15 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Keeping your hands clean will help keep your phones clean.
- Try to limit the number of people coming into physical contact with your phone. Think of it as a personal item, like your toothbrush or hairbrush, and avoid sharing it if possible.
- Safely clean your phone as often as possible, following these steps:
- Ensure that your phone is turned off and unplugged from external power sources
- Clean the phone using a soft, lint-free or microfiber cloth with either soapy water (40% dish soap and 60% water) or a rubbing alcohol solution (40%-70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and 60%-30% water).
- Gently wipe down the front and back of your phone, avoiding any openings like the charging port and speaker grills. Avoid using bleaches, aerosol sprays or abrasive cleaners. Do not spray any cleaning solution directly onto your phone.
- Use a dry corner of the cloth to remove any excess solution on your phone. Avoid abrasive towels, cloths, or similar items.
- Also remember to clean your phone case if you have one. Cases may also carry germs. Consider purchasing a case with an antimicrobial cover, which helps eliminate surface bacteria from the surfaces.
Following these simple phone hygiene steps on a daily basis can help keep you and your family safe.